Encountering dental problems can be gruesome, especially when you are on the road spending your vacation or when dental offices are closed. Most dental emergencies can be easily avoided with a bit of extra care. Here are a few tips that have come straight from top dentists, to prevent ruining your fun moments.
- Say no to Popcorn: Sorry popcorn lovers, but dentists suggest avoiding the snack as it can get beneath your gums and cause irritation. While this cannot necessarily cause any emergency, it can definitely put a dent to your holiday celebration.
- Don’t go for toffee and sticky foods: Munching on lots of chocolates and other tasty (yet sticky) foods can be fun, but when you eat them you might dislodge a filling or pull off a crown. No one prefers having unprotected teeth while devouring a major holiday feast.
- Watch what you eat! – You never know what can happen as you bite into olives and other foods. The major cause of cracked teeth includes carelessly biting into olive pits, cherry pits and bones too.
- Prevention is better than cure: Dentists recommend making dental check-ups before you leave for holidays. Having your teeth checked has its perks. First of all, it can avoid situations of dental emergencies and secondly, it contributes to long term dental health.
- Maintain consistent oral health: The fundamental step you must exercise is to maintain good oral health habits. Brushing and flossing will keep your teeth healthy throughout holidays.
It takes nothing more than common sense to follow these tips and put them to action. Incorporating these habits with a bit of care in what you do can prevent most dental problems.